1. What is an iamb? Explain iambic pentameter. Create one sentence.
1A: Iamb means foot. Iambic pentameter is a beat which Shakespeare used to write all his plays. It is a beat that has a pattern of the emphasis of words. An example is: Yet joy and happiness I find in it.
2. What is the rhyme scheme for an English sonnet? For an Italian sonnet?
2A: For an English sonnet, it is ABABCDCDEFEFGG. For an Italian sonnet, it is ABBAABBACDECDE.
3. What is the line of succession (who has power) in Macbeth? (Hint: Top 3)
3A: The king is first. Then after the king comes Malcolm, the eldest son. Then comes the most powerful thane, which is probably MacBeth now.
4. How does the titular character increase his power? (Hint: The captain's report)
4A: He fought bravely in the battle and killed the rebel's leader. He won the war for his country.
5. Summarize why Witch #1 was in a bad mood.
5A: A sailor's wife didn't share chestnuts with her so she killed the sailor's wife husband.
6. What are the three prophecies of MacBeth?
6A: He is the Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, and future king.
7. What are the three prophecies of Banquo?
7A: Lesser than MacBeth but greater, Less happier than MacBeth but happier, he will not be a king but his sons would be kings.
8. "If chance will have me King, why, chance may crown me without my stir." (I.iii.143) Who said it? To whom? Translate to plain English?
8A: MacBeth thought it to himself and it means that if the prophecy said he will be king, he shouldn't need to do anything to become king.
9. "Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here... take my milk for gall.." (I.v.41, 48) Who said it? To whom? Translate to plain English?
9A: Lady MacBeth said it to the evil spirits. She wants them to take away her feminism and make her cruel so she can take out the king and MacBeth can be king.